Barkpass allows you to import existing customer data into your organization so your users don't have to create accounts and pets from scratch.
Visit your Organization Settings Imports page to get started.
Upload a CSV file to perform an import.
Note: some columns are required.
- email (required)
- name (required - full name, separated by spaces)
- state (must be abbreviation, e.g. IA for Iowa)
- pet_name (required, if providing pet data)
- pet_type (required, if providing pet data)
- pet_birthday (formatted YYYY-MM-DD)
- pass_expires_at (formatted YYYY-MM-DD) (required for importing tag_number, tag_prefix, transaction_amount, pass_name)
- custom_pet_* (see Importing Custom Fields)
- custom_user_* (see Importing Custom Fields)
- certification_*_expires_at (see Importing Certifications)
- Existing users are matched based on email.
- New users are created with a random password, and users can log in using the Reset Password functionality.
- Existing pets are matched based on pet_name.
- pet_name, pet_type, and pet_breed_1 are required fields if you are adding or updating a pet
- pet_sex should be one of:
- Male - Neutered
- Female - Spayed
- pet_altered is optional and may be combined with pet_sex (see above). If provided, it should be one of:
- For "altered":
- For "unaltered":
- For "altered":
- To import a pass, provide a pass_expires_at column
- Optionally provide a pass_name. This is useful if you are importing multiple passes which have the same "expires_at" value.
- If no pass exists with the valid_until date matching that column, a new one will be created for you.
- You can update the auto-generated name after running the import.
- To import a tag for a pet, you can add a tag_number column
- You can import more than one tag (e.g. for a different pass). To do so, repeat the row in your data source with the required information for the user and pet.
Importing Custom Fields
- To import custom fields for a pet or user, prefix the name of the custom field with pet_custom_ (for pets) or user_custom_ (for users)
- The name of your field should be lowercase with underscores _ separating words
- For example, if your custom field is named Microchip ID, its full pet custom field column would be pet_custom_microchip_id.
- If the field does not yet exist for your organization, it will be created. You can always change the name later.
- To import certifications, or more specifically document expiration dates, use the certification_*_expires_at pattern and one of the following document types as the column name:
- The date must be in the format of YYYY-MM-DD.
- To import custom document types, prefix the name of the custom document type with custom_. For example, if you have a custom document type called "Membership":
- If custom document types do not yet exist, they will be created for you. You can edit their names and descriptions from the Pass settings page.
- All certifications imported as part of a pet and application import will be added to the Pass as a Required Document.
- To import transactions, include a transaction_amount number
- Transactions are assigned the "Other" category and do not include any additional payment information
- When importing importing multiple pets to the same pass and application, you can include a transaction_amount for each pet if the transaction was recorded individually, or just for one of the pets if the transaction was recorded in bulk (combined).
Clearing imported data
If you've made a mistake or your import has issues, you can clear all of your organization's data by visiting Organization Settings Imports and scrolling to "Clear Data."
- This will remove ALL data from your organization, excluding any Pass information and administrators which are kept for your convenience.
- WARNING: This action is irreversible. This removes ALL data and users, not just data you have imported.
Import Log Retention
Import logs containing row data are kept for 30 days before being deleted.